Sunday, February 8, 2009

Interview Mistakes

Overall, I agree with the 10 interview mistakes the website selected to be the biggest. I think the best thing you can do going into an interview (or in many other situations) is be confident. If you know that you are a qualified job candidate and you are fully prepared for the interview, there is no reason that you won't do well. The first mistake the website lists--not to ask stupid questions--seems to be a particularly difficult one to perfect. Formulating a question that is not addressed on a company's website or on any other interactions you have with the company before the interview is difficult. There are times when I have found myself unable to come up with an intelligent, legitimate question for an interviewer. I think the biggest tip that the website offers is a pretty basic one that is nonetheless often overlooked. Practice. It is important to anticipate some difficult questions the interviewer may present and give yourself time to create an intelligent, concise answer. This will prevent you from struggling and stumbling through that question in the actual interview.

I have gone through three interviews recently for different positions on campus. Two interviews were done for a large audience and one was just me and three interviewers. I felt like two of the interviews went very well while the third was alright but not great. I had failed to practice answering some tough questions that I encountered during the difficult interview and this, of course, led to less than stellar responses. I felt very confident going into my two better interviews. I think this is a big reason why I felt good about the results. I wasn't nervous or stumbling over my words. This gave the impression of being competent and well prepared.

Overall I feel good about my abilities in a job interview. It is getting the interview with very little work experience that is the trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment