Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Big One

Given the choice to blog about any one topic of interest to me on the first Sunday in February, I'll choose the Superbowl every time. Superbowl 43, while it fails to contain either the Cowboys or the Panthers, provides an intriguing match-up. The Cardinals didn't exacly soar into the playoffs. Losing 4 of their last 6 games had sports analysts discussing whether it is fair that teams from extremely weak divisions (NFC West) get an automatic bid when other teams from more competitive divisions get left out. However, once they got to the playoffs the Cardinals have looked more like the St. Louis Rams from 2001, the last team that their current quarterback Kurt Warner led to the superbowl. The team that earned the nickname "the greatest show on turf."

The Steelers on the other hand have been a picture of consistency. Their strength definitely lies in their remarkable defense, which is ranked #1 in the NFL in virtually all major catagories. Add a decent offense that somehow manages to function despite Ben Roethlisberger's propensity to hold on the the ball way too long, and you have a very dangerous team. Certainly the team to beat according to sports betters all over the country.

I find myself compelled to cheer for the underdog Cardinals in this one. To adopt the Steelers as my team for this game would be equivalent to cheering for Apollo Creed to knock out Rocky Balboa. Not to mention it would go against my every instinct as a Cowboys fan (meeting the Steelers in 3 superbowls breeds contempt.) However, despite my disdain for the Steelers I do think they are the better team and will prove so tonight. However, I'm taking the Cardinals with the spread (+7).


Steelers 23- Cardinals 17.


No comments:

Post a Comment